Friday, March 13, 2020

Selling My Soul



From a young age I despised selling. It conjured up images of swindling, unscrupulous salesmen
Anoush Stanboulian Art
taking unfair advantage of trusting people interested in making their lives better. As I got older, I realized it wasn’t only the door to door variety of salesmen that were manipulating people – or the ones in the stores. There were actually people selling ideas and beliefs with the same manipulative “selling” tools – basically brainwashing. My disdain for selling increased. Then, was in the position of selling. Selling myself, my skills and products in my business. Oh, I loved how I helped people but never really got comfortable with the selling aspect.

Since then, besides my business Universal Wellness, I’ve had experience selling in a plethora of arenas. Selling houses, land, cars, boats, and a hotel. I’ve sold motorcycles, bicycles, treadmills and other exercise equipment. My experience spanned dozens of selling platforms for real estate and more including Craigslist and venues social media has to offer. Even got myself kicked out of one for selling banned items – visualize stiletto heeled shoes triggering a weapon alert. I could write a book about selling and the entertaining aspects thereof including prospects’ behavior. “Oh, I didn’t actually read the ad.”  “No, I didn’t look at the pictures.” “This WILL fit in the back of my SUV!”  Don’t look for it though, as it would bring me no pleasure reliving all that.


Beauty I’ve had difficulty selling has been my Gifts From the Sea. I have always been artistic - blossoming via a variety of mediums. Combining my love of the beach and creativity was only natural. Over the years, I joyfully hand-crafted numerous sea treasures – always with the loved ones in mind who would delightfully receive them. Needs arose making money (in my  as little money as possible world) necessary. At first, it was difficult to even create my masterpieces without a specific person in mind. I overcame that imagining mystery recipient being excited to have it. Envisioning the loving energy with which it was infused enhancing their life also helped. But then there was that thing about charging money. It was like charging money for love. Then again, if everything we do is with love, the money we get for anything is for love. Thankfully, there are some people who understand that and pay….with love 💖




One of the things I’ve had varying degrees of success selling – depending on how you measure – is of a concept. I thought I’d be starting a tropical spa retreat many moons back. Hundreds of people were interested in participating in one manner or another. Years have flown by yet the perfect retreat location remains elusive. However a surprising number of supporters continue to fuel the flame with their belief. Periodically I get a reminder asking about “progress” or confirming their faith in me. I still don’t know whether this place will be manifested or not. Still have no substantial news to share about it. To all you wonderful Loved Ones, I swirl my continued gratitude. You mean so much to me! What I do know is I am still selling a concept.
The vision is of a brighter way of living. Imagine entering another level of consciousness in which we are powerful, beyond our current imagination, and can create our own worlds. And no, I am not selling by manipulation or force. I am not seeking only personal gain – although the more people living in joy benefit everyone else. I am selling by my example – giving people a glimpse of other possibilities. If they are interested, they can proceed on their own without obligation. Their innate - inner guidance will take over, if allowed, with the best path for each individual. I have basically bared / sold my soul for this endeavor. I am not here to show you The Way. I am selling/showing/shining you A Way. Now it’s up to you if you want to use any of my ideas or example in helping you forge a new, blissful, loving path for yourself!


Now I ask you….. What are you selling?

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Peter - both for reading and your kind words!

      Delete
  2. I love your concept Michelle...As an artist myself, I am also challenged in the sales department. I wish you well my friend.
    God bless your Soul.
    Tommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tommy, thank you for reading and relating! You are an amazing artist too! Good thing our souls don't rely on sales! Blessings <3

      Delete